The trustees had applied in
February 1891 to the Government of Bombay for
a grant-in -aid for the erection of a
Church at Malabar Hill. After due consideration,
the Government sanctioned a sum of Rs. 5000/-
and granted a land measuring 4,308 sq. yards
for the conduct of religious worship of the
members of the established Church of England.
No other building was to be built in the compound
without the written consent of the Government.
All the repair work was to be effected by the
new Anglican Church built at Malabar Hill was
called the 'All Saints' Church. The money granted
by the Government was inadequate and they had
to depend upon private funds. Thus though aided
by the state it was a private church.
Church was intended to serve as a Chapel to
ease the inconvenience caused to those who attended
the Cathedral, since it was an 8 mile carriage
drive from Malabar
Hill to the Cathedral. The foundation
of the Church was laid by Lady Ferguson, the
wife of Sir James Ferguson, the Governor of
design of the Church is a modern style by Major
Mant of the Royal engineers. As of today it
consisted of a nave, 42 feet by 23 feet, a semi-circular
chancel about 16 feet in diameter and a vestry
of 10 feet. square. The design included a neat
belfry tower, and the extreme height of the
building from ase to tower, was about 64 feet.
The bell turret, however with its wooden steeple,
was removed as recently as 1951 when it was
damaged by a cyclone. It now rests above the
vestry door. The walls were constructed of irregular
stone with tracings of Porbunder or Coorla stone,
while the roof is tiled with Mangalore tiles.
The Times of India report said in 1875 "Although
inexpensive and unassuming in appearance, it
is chaste and tasteful and when completed will
form an elegant addition to the architectural
feature of the district.
Church became a permanent place of worship for
the governors of Bombay since 1881 as Malabar
Hill turned to be their place of residence.
It however continued to be attached to the Cathedral.
It was created as a separate ecclesiastical
parish only in 1957.
Saints at Malabar Hills turned to be their place
of residence. It however continued to be attached
to the Cathedral. It was created as a separate
ecclesiastical parish only in 1957.
important palques that adorn the walls of All
Saints Church are as follows:
- James Ponsonby Cox, who died on 23rd September
1880 was a Col. of the Royal Engineers and
also the Chairman of the Port Trust Bombay.
- Henry Vero R. Kemball was a Cheif Engineer
and Secretary to the Government of Bombay.
Though he died at Tunbrige on the 25th April
1918 his memory is perpetuated on the walls
of the 'All Saints' Church.
mail to info@ BDTA.net
with questions or comments about this web site.
Copyright © 2004 The BDTA Pvt Ltd.
Last modified: March 08, 2004