|This is the oldest established Church
in Pune or its neighborhood. Church was built
by Lieut. Nash of the East India Company's Engineers.
The interior of the Church is 97 feet Long from
the west door of the Church step, and the transept
88 feet from north to south. The width of the
nave is 15 feet and the transept 35 feet. The
top of the spire is 103 feet from the ground.
The Church accommodates over 1000 worshipers.
The bell in the tower at present replaced the
original one and was brought from St. Georges
Church, Kaira Church.
the foundations of which were laid in June 1821,
was consecrated by Bishop Heber in 1825. Being
the oldest and most representative Church of
Pune, St. Mary's naturally contains a great
many memorials of'sages who wrote and warriors
who bled'. The stones and brasses commemorate
many noble names.
Beneath this stone are the
remains of Sir Robert Grant, Knight Grand Cross
of the Order of Guelphs of Hanover, one of Her
Majesty's Most Honorable Privy Councilor's and
Governor of Bombay. He died at Dapore on 9'"
of July 1838, in the 60'th year of his age.
|Sir. R. Grant, the founder of the
Grant Medical College, was known amongst many
other gifts he possessed, as a hymn writer. Some
of his hymns are well known today. "Saviour
when in dust to Thee" and " O worship
the King, all glorious above" are well known
Church Hymns .
The stained glass window
over the Communion table, was erected by Colonel
Nasmyth, a superintendent of the Trigonometrically
Survey. The Window was designed by the late
Mr. R.G. Oxenham, Director of Public Instruction.
The north side gives the annunciation of the
Virgin and Moses at the Burning Bush . The middle
window portrays Our Lord in Majesty whilst beneath
is Moses in prayer over Amalek. The Baptistry
window, to the memory of Brigadier- General
Sewell, represents Noah's sacrifice, the Israelites
crossing the Red Sea and the Circumcision and
|The Lectern, which dates from 1870,
was executed by a native boy under the superintendence
of Colonel Finch, from designs by a London firm.
The Altar Cross was presented by a lady in memory
of her brother.
mail to info@ BDTA.net
with questions or comments about this web site.
Copyright © 2004 The BDTA Pvt Ltd.
Last modified: March 08, 2004